Saturday, March 12, 2011

Parenting a "Tween" girl


This is my Meredith at the age of 3...I know we look alike, we even act alike.  She is a lot of fun...At the age of 3 she danced, played school, put on shows, played pretend and entertained us all with her sometimes shy personality.  I remember days the days of chasing after my 3 year old and taking care of my 6 month old.  I remember wishing away those years, just yearning for sleep and to have it a little "easier".  Oh those were the days, and how I wish I could rewind a bit and press pause on those years.

We had lots of fun tap dancing in the living room and Meredith even shared her old tap shoes with her little brother and he too danced and performed for us in the the living room.  Those were the days.....

Now I have an almost 10 year old tween daughter who performs violin concerts instead.  I really don't mind that part of the tween years.  It's the 4th grade peer pressure that sends me into a tail spin.  "Mom, this one and that one have a cell phone, how come I can't have one?  How old do I have to be?  I don't like talking on the house phone, you limit my time!  Mom, my friends "hang out" at Marple on Friday nights, I want to go....why not?  I'm the only one...."

All of these I'm ready to grow up statements and requests that I am just not ready for.  I remember 4th grade, and it wasn't all that long ago:)  Boys were gross, I hung out at my best friend Sherry's house, but that was the extend of it.  I think my Mom took us roller skating about once a month.  Those were the good old days I guess.  Kids actually had to call your house and talk to your Mom before they got to talk to you.

Last night my tween informed me that she no longer wanted to spend her Friday nights at Cub Scouts where Matt and I lead Ethan's Tiger cub den.  My response, "Well I don't want to spend my Friday nights arguing with you over things that I already said no to!"  Not sure if that was the best response, but I'm not perfect!

I'm praying ALOT!  I'm asking God to give her the heart of obedience.  I asking God for her to love our home and our family and for her to want to have her friends over.  I asking for God's hedge of protection to surround her when she is out in the world!  I do know for certain that she will have a positive influence on her peers.  She does love God and she does want to do the right things.  God does answer prayer!

In the mean time, can I just rewind a bit.....


Or at least be almost 10 for a little longer?

No comments:

Post a Comment